Pages

4.04.2007

Easter

It’s Easter time. Of all of the holidays I think Easter is probably the most difficult for me. Who knew, right? Mom might know, even though I don’t know if I’ve ever expressed it to her. For me it’s a sad day. As far as the actual definition of the day – how could it be sad? It is the day that Jesus rose from the dead. Proof of God’s forgiveness, mercy, power, promises….

When I think of Easter, aside from the obvious definition, I almost always think of my Dad. He made such a big deal about the candy and eggs and baskets. I remember one year, he filled up the entire kitchen table and even had to have an overflow table. As a kid, it just doesn’t get any better than that. It makes me miss him. I don’t want the candy or the little gifts, but a little more time with him would be nice. A chance to see him with grown-up eyes would be a most wonderful thing.

I also remember a Easter shortly after Daddy died, when I came downstairs to find a letter from my Mom full of reprimand and discipline. It was written in love and was a most devastating thing to my 12 or 13 year old heart and head. It was the first time I think I came to the realization that I didn’t live in a cushy bubble constantly protected by Mom and Dad. I think that letter had a lot to do with the person that I have become. It was a really good thing, even though I certainly remember thinking it was the end of my world as I knew it.

As I approach Easter this week, these emotions are a kind of heavy on my heart. For those who might be reading this it may seem a bit melodramatic, but it’s taken me all of these years to understand my attitude toward the day. So, I’m praying for joy in the remembrance of good times and peace in the knowledge of the sacrifice and miracles of God.
By the way - did you know it's virtually impossible to find a solid chocolate bunny? They just don't make em like they used to. Sigh! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I didn't realize the significance of the solid bunny until I read your post just now. I hope today was a better day than you anticipated.

    Thank-you for having us over yesterday(and to Renee, also)I enjoyed it very much and would have liked to stay longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, it's a good thing I'm in a cube and the boys are busy playing computer games for their lunch break. Now that you made me mist up all over the place. You could of at least had a mascara alert at the beginning.

    On a serious note, I hope you had many blessings yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you, too!