Pages

1.10.2012

Thinking About Creativity

When I was younger I remember, on more than one occaision, talking about creativity and/or artistic ability.  To the best of my recollection, my statement was almost always "I don't have a creative bone in my body" or "I can't even draw a stick figure" or "I have no artistic ability, whatsoever." 

And then I grew up. 

And I discovered I am creative, I do have artistic ability, and I still can't draw a stick figure. But the creativity is there.  Sometimes its easy to find.  Sometimes it's hidden and I have to find it.  Sometimes I just have to keep plodding along, even if I end up abhoring what I've created.

So the question is, was that creativity there all along?  Was my definition of "creative" what made me think I had none?  And now that I've discovered I have it, what if I lose it?

Applying all of the above to scrapbooking in general can be scary.  For someone who wants to (desperately - I'm not ashamed to admit it) find their niche in the scrapbooking industry, it's downright terrifying.  And if I let myself think about it too long, I often think about abandoning that dream. 

Enter this book.  Or rather, this book's author. 



More specifically, Elizabeth Gilbert's talk on TED.com.  Check it out if you can.  Her perspective on where creativity comes from, and how knowing or accepting that can reduce your "fear" is quite profound. 



I think this might be the first time I've ever linked a video, so please let me know if you run into any problems!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you, too!