Pages

9.09.2013

Family Recipes

I woke up this morning thinking about food.  Probably because I made pork chops last night and they ended up being really, really salty.  As in so salty I’m not sure I can eat them.   Oops. 

I’ve talked about it before….that long line of southern cooks I come from.  And how I think somehow it skipped me.  I’ve been cooking more and more lately…and have discovered I actually enjoy it.  I still have a few disasters.  And I do wish it were easier to find more simple recipes….but it’s not bad. 

But this morning…I woke up thinking about my childhood favorites.  And how I haven’t mastered them.  And I need to.
  • Vegetable soup
  • Cornbread
  • Talerini
  • Sour Cream Enchiladas (totally mastered these J)
  • Mexican Rice (check mark)
  • Turkey/Chicken Tetrazini
  • Potato Salad (I’ve never actually made this when I haven’t been geographically in my mother’s presence)
  • Pasta Shell Salad (check mark – and the best bite is right after you mix it and the noodles are still warm)
  • Fried Okra
  • Fried Chicken
  • Baked Beans (I used to be the official baked bean maker at our house, but it’s been years.  Maybe because I only know how to make baked beans in one particular pan that feeds approximately 900 people)
  • Pole Beans
  • Field Peas with a few okra on top
  • Roast Turkey (I might be okay with this one, maybe)
I’m sure I’m missing quite a few recipes.  And will add to the list as I remember.  What about you?  What were your favorite family meals as a kid?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you, too!