Pages

6.03.2014

Art Journaling: A Fresh Beginning

My art journaling shuddered to a grinding halt a few weeks ago.  I was going through some dark stuff when I really began to find solace in journaling this way.  And now that dark stuff is slowly making way for the blahs which translates into uninterested, unmotivated and just plain blah.  I know this is all part of the process, but everything in me wants to just get busy and get over it already.  In my  mind, that is how you move on.  That's what I've done in the past.  But I just haven't been able to.  And my inability to do it has really started to mess with my head.  One more thing that has "failed".  "You can't even cope and move on"  "You are being selfish - get over yourself."  "Stop grieving for what you thought you had."  Nonsense, I know.  But the longer I 'hear' something like that, the more I start to believe it to be true.

And then this morning, a post from Mary at A Splendid Adventure Studio (and the leader of the art journaling sessions I attend).

"I am experiencing a rough patch on my journey, we all have them. There may be many of you who are living a rough patch too. Or coming out of one.  Or going into one. May I tell you not to run from it or deny what is...may I tell you not to numb or cover up the pain with activities or busyness...we need to go through it, not around or over it. It's not easy friends, a lot of the time it just plain sucks and it's easy to begin to lose hope. Let's not lose hope. There will be a day when the rough patch evens out. It may not be tomorrow, but it will come."

Well, fine then.  I will listen.  It was what I needed to hear.  To keep plodding through, even though it just seems wrong.

Back to art journaling.  I was struggling to open that journal I worked on for so long during the dark time. And now I think it was because those pages held everything I was trying to move past.  Pain and sadness. Rejection.  Last Saturday, Misti and I were talking about my lack of motivation and she said "maybe you just need a new journal".  Simple as that.  She had no idea what was going on in my head, really.  But that was really all it took.

I like the idea of working on a larger surface so I splurged on the Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Creative Journal by Ranger.

 A fresh start.  Distress inks on acrylic blocks, then stamped.  I love the way the colors blend. Raindrops because rain is my favorite.  And it makes things clean and fresh.

This is my favorite page so far for lots of reasons.  The colors, the cleanliness, the quote cut from my Silhouette...




More watercolor fun.



4 comments:

  1. Shawn Acher says, "happiness is the joy we feel striving towards our potential".
    Psalm 126:5 (KJV) They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
    6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
    And, finally: According to Maya Angela "Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant."

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh honey, i love, love, love these pages. when you come to the next workshop please bring them.

    i understand the wanting to get past and move on...it's just sometimes hard...and i find the older i get the harder it is to get past whatever...i wonder if i just don't have the energy to pretend as much...i'm not talking about little hurts from those who wound us...it's the junk that bubbles up...the stuff that has been pushed down and pushed down...that i can't seem to push down anymore. it becomes toxic i think, and needs to come to the surface where we can see it and hand it over to God. and that handing over is not always a one time thing...

    much grace, peace and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big hug even though you don't like them. Mary does have such great wisdom and insight. One day at a time without judging yourself. Your heart generally won't follow your head's timeline.

    Love your pages by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love every one of these pages! I think my favorite is the one with the butterflies. I heart you, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Please leave a link to your blog so I can visit you, too!